Yesterday we began a series through the letters to the seven churches, found in Revelation chapters 2 and 3. So far, we’ve just looked at some background, and the fact that these “performance reviews” follow the same basic pattern:
- Who’s speaking: a way of describing Jesus
- What’s good: an affirmation of what the church is doing well
- What’s bad: a charge against the church for what it’s failing to do
- How to get back on track: an exhortation to repent and set things right
- A warning: of what will happen if they don’t
- A promise: of what’s in store if they do
Today, we’re looking at the letter to Ephesus (2:1-7) under these headings.